Driving safe – About Ford’s Driving Skills for Life
Take a look at these staggering numbers from World Health Organization and THINK; they are not just numbers!
- On an average, more than 25 people die or are injured as a result of a motor vehicle accident in India every 6 minutes
- India topped China as having the most per capita fatalities as a result of motor vehicle accidents
- In India, road fatalities have increased by 40% in five years
- 13 people die every hour on Indian roads and the International Road Federation estimated a total of 1,19,860 road fatalities in 2009
- Road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death for 10-24 year olds
- Most young people killed or injured in road crashes in low- and middle-income countries are pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists or users of public transport
- Correctly used seat-belts reduce the risk of death in the event of a crash by up to 61%
Ford’s Driving Skills for Life focuses on helping combat this epidemic of road fatalities. The program includes a module on safe and economical driving behavior such as anticipating road conditions, applying fuel-efficient driving techniques, avoiding overspeeding and keeping a vehicle properly maintained for optimal fuel economy.
Driving Skills for Life is offered free of charge to licensed drivers. The programme, which has been customized to reflect driving and road conditions in India, mixes classroom learning and practical training in a vehicle.
In India, Driving Skills for Life’s (DSFL) highly interactive sessions have successfully trained over 4,300 drivers since its launch in 2009; roping in important stakeholder groups such as dealers, customers, fleet partners, influencers and supplier partners.
Taking forward the cause of safe driving, the ‘I Pledge to Drive Safe’ online pledge is an assertion of commitment to safe driving on India’s roads.
Register yourself for an upcoming DSFL session free of cost here. We will inform you as soon as we have a session planned in your city.
For more information on DSFL, click here: www.drivingskillsforlife.com