Make Your Car Wash Eco-Friendly
Your car needs that much deserved pampering and rejuvenation on a weekend, if not everyday. Even though, car wash keeps your car in good health, it can affect the environment otherwise – letting auto fluids flow down the drains, excessive water wastage and so on. We give you a lowdown on how to do make your car wash more eco-friendly with minimal wastage:
1. Dry Clean Whenever Possible: An average car wash at home uses at least 50 gallons of water, along with polluting the drains and waterways. Dry Clean your car whenever possible. Wipe off the dust and grime with absorbent, clean rags or microfiber cleaning cloths soaked in soapy water. Finish it off with a wax polish to get that perfect shine.
2. Park it on grass: If you’re washing your car at home, make the activity more environmental friendly by parking your car on the grass. The phosphates in some detergents are beneficial for the plants and soil, and the water will help the grass grow. Not only is the water soaked by the soil, but it prevents the soapy water from polluting the drainages or forming an unnecessary puddle on the road that may tempt stray animals.
3. Take it to the car garage: Give your car for a professional wash once in a while to tidy up your vehicle inside out. Not only do they reuse water, but also use only 12 to 14 gallons of water per car wash.
4. Use biodegradable cleaners: Another way to make your car wash eco-friendly is to use ecological detergents and soaps to clean the car. Some soaps are made of biodegradable ingredients which are good for the soil and plants as well. If you can’t find them around easily, make your own biodegradable car wash by mixing one cup of liquid dishwashing detergent and 3/4 cup of powdered laundry detergent with three gallons of water.
5. Turn off the tap: Sometimes, we know the obvious things but don’t take it very seriously. When using a hose to wash your car, make sure to turn off the tap when no longer in use.
If you follow these tips, not only will you make the process of washing your car easier but you’ll also be doing your bit towards the environment by helping conserve water.